Wednesday, November 13, 2013

The Entertainment Catch Up: Gabrielle Aplin

Hey guys!

This week I thought i'd feature an artist i've recently discovered who, I think, has the most amazing of voices, Gabrielle Aplin!



My sister showed me the film clip for her song 'Please don't say you love me' and it was love at first opening riff. I've given her albums and EP's a listen and even though 'Please don't say you love me' is by far my favourite (The piano cover is soooooo great!) She has some really fantastic singles like 'Panic cord' and 'Keep on walking' that really make the records worth a purchase.

'Panic Cord'


I really love Gabrielle's sound, it's very sweet and calming and reminds me a lot of artists like Lisa Mitchell and a more serene version of Kate Nash, her melodies are flawless and she has some great catchy hooks to get you singing along (not that I ever need an excuse!)

'Please don't say you love me' original


With 'Please don't say you love me' being my favourite, I found myself being torn between what version I like more, after listening to both versions she's released i've noticed the original is a lot faster and boppy-er and does a good job of making the song seem pleasant, even though it is about how saying, 'I love you' too early can ruin a relationship. The song goes on to mention that even though she isn't ready to say, 'I love you' it doesn't mean she's no longer into you. While I totally get where she's coming from I think I prefer the piano cover of this song better as the lack of pace and instruments really focuses on the vulnerability of the lyrics, and I feel it changes the whole outlook on the song. You know me I love a sappy heartfelt love song! And I think the meaning of the song would of originated from a much more lonely bad fairy tale ending, and I think the Piano cover does a better job of showcasing that.

'Please don't say you love me' Piano cover


I hope this post has turned you into a Gabrielle Aplin fan! I'd love to hear what you think!

Until next time x.


No comments:

Post a Comment